With journalism and journalists under increasing criticism and new technology making old models of financing investigative journalism tougher, Hartford’s FOX 61 is showcasing young journalists as they learn the profession and develop stories that reach local newscasts.
FOX 61 Student News was relaunched in February after a multi-year absence, and last week honored students at a special year-end awards ceremony held at Goodwin College in East Hartford. During the school year, FOX61 Student News empowered Connecticut middle and high school students to explore the world of multi-media journalism by giving them the opportunity to capture, edit and publish original content under the guidance of industry professionals.
Each student produced and hosted a news segment that showcased a local story or event that aligns with the station’s weekly HOPE segment. The student stories were featured on-air during Friday’s Good Day Connecticut at 6:20 a.m. 7:30 a.m., and during the 5 and 10 p.m. news.
Among the winning stories:
- Best in Student News Reporting and Writing was awarded to Manchester High School’s Kailey Feshler for her story on the CT Humane Society.
- Best in Student News Pre and Post Production and Editing was awarded to three students from Daniel Hand High School in Madison: Liam Bennett, Delvantae Hutton and Ashleigh Violette for their story on Saferides.
- Best in Student News Photography and Lighting was awarded to two students from Norwich Free Academy: Alyssa Friedrich and Maggie Peter for their story on Local Manufacturing.
The winners in each of these categories received a scholarship, donated by Fox 61.
- Most Compelling Student News Story was awarded to three students from South Windsor High School: Lauren Adamo, Madison Donahue and Hannah Mitchell for their story on Josie the Therapy Dog. They shared the $3,500 scholarship provided by local sponsor, Big Y World Class Market.
Through the years, many students have participated in the Fox 61 Student News, reporting on different issues in their communities.
FOX 61 is one of the nation’s most highly rated FOX Network affiliates, producing more news and winning more awards than any station in Connecticut. FOX 61 now airs more than 61 hours of local news and public affairs programming each week, more than any other market station. FOX 61 is owned and operated by Tribune Media, one of the country’s leading multimedia companies.
- Bridgeport, New Haven Among Nation's 50 Most Stressful Cities, Analysis Says
- Struggles Continue for Thousands Who Relocated from Puerto Rico to Connecticut in Storm Aftermath
- Connecticut's 40 Fastest Growing Technology Companies Earn Statewide Recognition
- Will CT Legislature Reverse Representation Trend in "Year of the Woman"?
Categories by the numbers
Follow @CTNumbers on TwitterMy Tweets
your ideasIf there is news you'd like to see here, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org Please LIKE us on Facebook... click below: