Connecticut Center for the Book at Connecticut Humanities is now accepting submissions for the Connecticut Book Awards, returning after a multi-year absence from the literary landscape in the state. The awards were last presented in 2011. They were presented annually beginning in 2002.
These awards recognize the best books of 2016 by authors and illustrators who reside in Connecticut. The 2017 Connecticut Book Awards will honor authors in Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry. There will also be awards open to authors and illustrators in the category of Books for Young Readers (Juvenile, Young Adult, and Teen). Book award nominations may be made through April 21, with the formal announcement of recipients later this year.
“There is a void in the Connecticut literary landscape for this kind of recognition of home grown authors. Several other awards and prizes in the state exist, awards such as The Nutmeg Awards, New Voices in Children’s Literature: Tassy Walden Awards, The Windham Campbell Prize, and a small handful of others, but these awards have specific criteria and don’t necessarily focus on Connecticut-based authorship,” the Center for the Book website points out. “Without the Connecticut Book Awards, there is no statewide recognition of Connecticut authors who craft words and convey ideas in a compelling way.”
Entry fee starts at $40 for a 2,000 copy or less print run. Award winners will receive exposure in Connecticut media outlets and personal appearances in Connecticut locations. For guidelines and to submit, please visit http://bit.ly/CTBook2017
The Center for the Book at Connecticut Humanities promotes the written and spoken word throughout the state and is an affiliate of the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress. “We’re bringing the Connecticut Book Awards back. Because they are important,” the website notes emphatically.
Nominated authors must currently reside in Connecticut and must have lived in the state at least three successive years or have been born in the state, or the book must be substantially set in Connecticut. Panels of five judges will assess nominated books in each category.
Eligibility Requirements for Book Awards to be made in 2017:
- Author must currently reside in Connecticut and must have lived in the state at least three successive years or have been born in the state. Alternatively, the work may be substantially set in Connecticut.
- Titles must have been first published between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2016.
- All submitted books must have a valid ISBN.
- Authors may enter more than one book per year.
- Anthologies are acceptable. Author(s) must have resided in Connecticut for at least three years of have been born in the state. Alternatively, the works must be substantially set in Connecticut.
- Books by deceased authors will be accepted only if the author was still living at the beginning of the eligibility year (January 1, 2016).
- Subscribe today! Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to start receiving CT Numbers daily.
Categories by the numbers
your ideasIf there is news you'd like to see here, let us know at email@example.com Please LIKE us on Facebook... click below:
Follow @CTNumbers on TwitterMy Tweets