Connecticut is home to numerous international corporations and many more domestic companies that routinely conduct global business, but the number of official consulates in the state can be counted with just a few fingers.
The Consulate General of Brazil is located at Constitution Plaza in Hartford, quite visibly on the corner of Market and State Streets just a block from the University of Connecticut School of Business downtown. The Consulate General of Peru is also located in Connecticut’s Capitol City, on Main Street.
New Haven hosts the Consulate General of Ecuador, on the corner of Church Street and George Street in the heart of the city. Just last year, Ecuadorian ambassador Nathalie Cely Suarez visited New Haven City Hall to meet with Mayor John DeStefano Jr. and New Haven’s Ecuadorian consul, Raul Erazo Velarde. New Haven is home to one of 19 Ecuadorian consulates in the United States, and the most recent U.S. census found that 21,000 Ecuadorians live in the state.
The state also has numerous honorary consulates – often no more than an individual and a mailing address – representing nations including Finland (in Norwich), France (in Middlebury), Romania (in Fairfield) and Italy (in Hartford).
The political title “Consul” is used for the official representatives of the government of one nation in the territory of another, normally acting to assist citizens of the consul’s country, and to facilitate trade and friendship between the peoples of the two countries. There may be several consuls, in several main cities, providing assistance with bureaucratic issues to both the citizens of the consul’s country travelling or living abroad and to the citizens of the country the consul resides in who wish to travel to or trade with the consul’s country. A consul is distinguished from ambassador, who is the official representative from one head of state to another.
Subscribe to Connecticut By The Numbers
Top Posts & Pages
- Nursing Numbers Highlight Need for More Educators, Nurses
- Overwhelming Support Spells Defeat for Creation of Social Benefit Businesses in CT
- Single Person Households on the Rise in Connecticut, Nationwide
- Report Warns of Separate But Unequal Community Colleges
- Million Dollar Packages Routine Atop Connecticut Hospitals, CEO’s Receive Highest Pay at 26 of 30
Categories by the numbers
- Hands-Free Electronics Are Hazardous to Drivers Safety, Ban Proposed on Dangers of Distracted Driving Attract Renewed Attention; Responses Pending, Urged
- Jessie on Cadavers, Bones, Burial and Dying Among Summer Reading Recommendations from State
- jmillea on State, AARP Seek Volunteer Resident Advocates to Give Voice to Facility Residents
- Jiani Yu Williams on State, AARP Seek Volunteer Resident Advocates to Give Voice to Facility Residents
- Harry on Connecticut Sales Tax is 10th Highest in Nation; Louisiana Promotes Tax-Free Guns & Ammunition Days
your ideasIf there is a number in the news you'd like to see here, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org