Embedded in an interview with Lynn Babington, dean and professor in the School of Nursing at Fairfield University, featured in the latest issue of Hartford Business Journal, are a stream of statistics about nursing and our aging population that are worth noting:
- People 65+ represented 12.4 percent of the population in the year 2000 but are expected to grow to be 19 percent of the population by 2030.
- The average age of the registered nurse in this country is 48 years old. As the population ages and continues to live longer and chronic health conditions increase, there is a growing demand for nurses in all care settings.
- There are a shortage of doctorally prepared nurses and an aging faculty workforce. The average age of nursing faculty in the U.S. is 57 years old.
If these stats spark your interest in the professional, take a look at the Department of Public Health detail on education programs available in Connecticut, and the latest numbers on how they’re doing.
Top Posts & Pages
- Nation of Coffee Drinkers, Across Every Demographic
- Nursing Numbers Highlight Need for More Educators, Nurses
- Connecticut Ranked 45th in Population Growth Last Year; Births Outpaced Deaths, Net Loss from Migration
- Connecticut Ranks #25 in Homelessness, Federal Data Shows
- Rizzotti, Like Auriemma, Signs Through 2017-18 Season
Categories by the numbers
your ideasIf there is a number in the news you'd like to see here, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org Please LIKE us on Facebook... click below:
Follow @CTNumbers on TwitterMy Tweets
- Art Vandelay on Want a Snow Day off from School? It Takes Less Snow in Southern CT
- BernardKavaler on About CT by the Numbers
- Connecticut Colleges Use Various Recruitment Tools To Attract Latino Students | ctlatinonews.com on Eastern Connecticut’s Increase in Hispanic Graduation Rate Is #1 Nationally
- Herby Fabius on Small Business Friendliness in CT Improved to D+ in 2013, Data Shows
- Dano860 on Connecticut is Nation’s Fourth Most Innovative State, Data Reveals
BREAKING Numbers Beyond CT
- DealBook: China’s Tencent to Buy Stake in JD.com as Part of E-Commerce Push (NYT > Business Day)
- The Week Ahead: Euro Bank Rules and a Fed Confirmation Hearing (NYT > Business Day)
- Syria rebels free kidnapped nuns (BBC News - Home)
- Helicopter in hunt for attack dog (BBC News - Home)
- Canada Confirms Plan for Free-Trade Pact With South Korea (WSJ.com: World News)